Sabbath

Jay wanted portraits of the town puppies. I present to you Dallas and Princess.




Mostly, however, I'm using this day to pray, to ponder the mysteries of life, to find words to speak a truth that sits at the tip of my tongue, but remains teasingly beyond my grasp. Jesus may have said "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven," but do the poor in spirit know this as enthusiastically as we preach it? In the Letter to the Romans, Paul assures his readers that the spirit intercedes "with sighs too deep for words." Our parable this week begins with a mustard seed. Sighs and mustard seeds, hidden treasures and pearls of great price. How do these small things fit when what I see most clearly is big trouble? When I'm feeling overlooked and insignificant, can a mustard seed sow comfort in my soul? Paul had an experience of God that changed his life and sent him into the unknown. The only way to preach the Gospel, say the people around here, is to step outside your comfort zone. Beautiful to say. A lifetime's work to live.

Comments

Popular Posts